Cloud Land - SFCA National Arts Exhibition 2019
A wonderful opportunity to celebrate the arts and recognise excellence in sixth form colleges
Supported by Alexandra Palace, Haringey Council and Haringey Sixth Form College
Sixth form colleges represent a vital supply pipeline of talented artists of the future. In order to advance the arts in education, to recognise and celebrate excellence in the arts, and to stimulate our thinking, SFCA will be holding a National Arts Exhibition in the Summer of 2019.
It is imperative that we keep the arts in education secure and flourishing. If young people are to make a truly valuable contribution to society, even if they are to be successful scientists, engineers, doctors and technicians, they need to develop their creative skills, their artistic sensitivities and their ability to interact with others.
The exhibition will be held in the stunning East Court of Alexandra Palace in London; an inspiring and prestigious location, which reflects the quality of the work, as well as the importance of the project. It is anticipated that there will be significant public and media interest, and that colleges will make a noise at a local and regional level to ensure the widest impact.
The exhibition will take place over three days. Although anyone can attend at any time, and the Hall is a public space attracting large numbers of visitors throughout the day and evening, each day will have a particular focus.
Thursday 27th June General public and VIP reception
Friday 28th June College and school student’s day
Saturday 29th June Artists and families day
- Students may submit entries in painting, photography, graphics or installation.
- Film, or other media requiring hardware or electricity supply, cannot be accepted.
- Each college will select a maximum of three its students’ entries to represent the college in the national exhibition and will be responsible for delivering the pieces on time and collecting them afterwards. We would be very grateful if colleges in the region could deploy some of their art teachers and technicians to help with setting up and taking down the exhibition.
- All pieces will be delivered to Alexandra Palace by noon on Friday 21st June.
- Colleges will register and indicate their participation. The deadline for registration is 20th March 2019.
- All work will respond to the theme, which reflects our partnership with Alexandra Palace and the educational priorities of the team there.
Theme - Cloud Land
This Summer, Alexandra Palace will be celebrating the launch of the East Court and Theatre and, as well as working with its local community on an aeronautics display, has set the theme for the sixth form colleges exhibition. Students should consider the ways in which Art, Science and Technology came together in the exploits and experiments of early pioneers of aeronautics, and how this is still relevant today.
There will be an entry fee of £300+VAT per participating college, payable in advance, to contribute to the costs associated with the exhibition